Head: Aleksandr V. Kilchevsky
Doctor of Biological Sciences, professor, corresponding member
DNA Bank has the following thematic sections:
«DNA Bank of a Human»
«DNA Bank of Animals»
«DNA Bank of Plants»
«DNA Bank of Microorganisms»
«DNA Bank of Rare and Endangered Species of Plants and Animals of the Republic of Belarus»
Each section stores DNA and biological tissues (original biological material from which the DNA sample was obtained).
DNA Bank is represented by the following collections of DNA samples (for each thematic section):
• collection of DNA samples for the long-term storage;
• collection of DNA samples for scientific purposes (used by depositors for their own needs; for the exchange of DNA samples among the Institute laboratories, Institutions of Belarus and other countries involved in the molecular genetic investigation);
• collection of DNA samples for commercial storage. This collection is represented by biological material samples received from individuals and various Institutions.
Priority areas of activity of DNA Bank:
• development and implementation of coordinated, scientific and well-reasoned measures on the long-term, high-quality storage and effective use of collections of DNA samples of a human, animals, plants, microorganisms and the original biological material from which DNA samples were obtained;
• compilation, storage and systematization of information on genetic material collections;
• organization of effective interaction with other DNA banks and genetic material collections to join an international banking network for the exchange of DNA samples, technologies and information;
• inventory and conservation of genetic resources of rare and endangered species of plants and animals of the Republic of Belarus.